Ripple Blanket with Teddy Bear

As I said in a previous post, we're having baby #2! Though now she's arrived! Below is her at 1 week old with her crocheted blanket and teddy bear.

1-week old photo of my daughter on her blanket with teddy bear


Main Info

Crochet Blanket

Teddy Bear

  • Size: 6" x 4" x 4.5" (measuring from tip to tip)
  • Time: 7 hours (5.25 hours crochet pieces, 1.75 hours putting it together)
  • Yarn: Same as the blanket
  • Hook size: G/6
  • Pattern: Pinterest pin / Free blog pattern

Thoughts from the process

Crochet Blanket

It's a little funny that for friends, I often use the same blanket pattern with an embedded design by switching yarn, but for my own babies, I use a completely different pattern. I think this is partially because I want to try something different when it comes to my own children.

Purple, green, and blue ripple blanket with teddy bear

For this blanket, I found the pattern online but didn't quite like how they did the stripes. So I brainstormed how to do the stripes using my two-year-old's markers, much to his curiosity and then desire to help.

For my son's blanket, we focused on greens with some blues. For her, we decided to go with purple as the dominant color. We purposely bought deeper colors because we just aren't a fan of the stereotyped frilly, pinkish pastel colors that are clearly gendered for baby girls. And while I know this might make people think she's a boy, I don't care enough, there are other ways to signal that she's a girl and, in most ways, it doesn't really matter.

Teddy Bear

I went with the classic teddy bear that I love. My son has never shown interest in his teddy bear, but I didn't want to show favoritism by picking a different stuffed animal and risking that it would come out much bigger or smaller. This teddy bear is smaller than his though. It's tough to gauge how big an animal will come out since it's a factor of the yarn and the crochet hook (though always go with a size or two smaller than the recommended hook size for the yarn to get tight stitches).

Teddy bear
The hardest part was figuring out what pieces would be what color. Purple was definitely the dominant color, but what should be blue versus green? In the end, I went with alternating the color for everything that was mirrored (ears, eyes, arms, and legs), making the muzzle purple but the nose half green and half blue, and the tail is purple.

Comments

Popular Posts