A labmate of mine and his wife had an adorable baby girl. So I made this almost completely pink set of little baby girl things.
|Crochet baby girl item set|
- Size: Base 4.25" in diameter
- Time: 1.5 hours
- Yarn: Lily Sugar'n Cream Strawberry
- Pattern: Pinterest pin / blog post
Thoughts from the process
I invented the headband with a bunch of trial and error. I was aiming for something that would stretch, but also have some built in sizing options. Here is a picture of it flat.
|Flower headband flat|
I crocheted going from one tip to the other so the headband could stretch. I put in two holes so there were options on what size to make the band. I made tapered tips to try and resemble leaves. The headband is mainly 8 dc stitch, with 3 tc on each side of the holes and the hole is 3 stitches across (I winged it to make that work). Finally the holes are large enough that the flower is the "button" to turn it into a headband. This way the entire headband is made of yarn and therefore no hard edges. Here's a shot of the headband on a vase.
The flower is inspired from the book because the flower from the original pattern was too big for my needs. So I experimented by following the same idea but to get a small flower.
I like how this turned out, but plan to reserve full judgment until I see how well it functions on an actual baby's head.
After making the headband I decided I wanted to make a baby set, rather than just give them the headband. The mittens were very straightforward and the blog post I found the pattern at was great and even had pictures.
|Pink baby mittens|
I decided on a bowl for the sake of having something to put everything in. However hopefully the bowl will also prove useful to store little things. In addition it is made of cotton so can be easily washed.